Skin picking disorder is an infection in which you cannot help but pick at your skin. There are several things you can do to help yourself. However, in the case of severe conditions, you will need treatment by professional healthcare personnel.
Signs of Disorder
The most obvious sign of the skin-picking disorder is picking at your skin at various times. However, the other methods of this disorder include:
- Picking at your skin frequently.
- Cuts and bleeding caused by picking at your skin
- Picking at moles and freckles to smooth them
- Picking at your skin while sleeping and not realizing that
- Picking at your skin when feeling anxious
Patients with this disorder can pick at their skin through nails, fingers, teeth, and other tools like tweezers and scissors.
What to Do if You Get Skin Picking Disorder?
If you get skin picking disorder, you have to do certain things to avoid the harmful consequences. Here are certain things you should practice in this case:
- Try keeping your hand busy. You can do that by squeezing any softball.
- Recognize the time when you pick at your skin mostly. Try to avoid that time and triggers.
- You can use moisturizer for the care of your skin.
- If you tell others, they can help you identify when you pick at your skin.
- Practice cleaning your skin to prevent infection.
- Trim your nails trimmed to avoid growing long
- Be away from tools like tweezers and scissors
Visit us at Express Care Urgent Care
Visit us to get immediate and quality treatment for this disorder. Our professionals will diagnose you and examine your skin picking behavior. They will start your treatment according to the level of your disorder. The treatment may include therapy or medication. We have skin specialist professionals (dermatologists) at our urgent care center. They will analyze your skin and underlying conditions for the proper treatment.
Therapy for Skin Picking Disorder
Therapy for this disease is believed to be an efficient treatment method. It includes changing your skin picking behavior. Our professionals will arrange the mental health service for you for this therapy. It is a cognitive behavioral therapy using the technique of habit reversal. This technique will help you:
- Identify the behavior of skin picking and its triggers
- Replacing the behavior of skin picking with other ones
Causes of Skin Picking Disorder
This disorder is an obsessive disorder in which a person can’t help himself picking at his skin. There could be many reasons responsible for this ailment. However, the common ones are as follows:
- Stress and boredom
- Guilty and negative emotions
- Acne skin conditions
- Blemishes the patient is facing to get rid of
Thus, it is a repetitive, obsessive disorder in which patients can’t stop picking at their skin. If you are getting the symptoms of this disorder, you can Contact Us for the immediate treatment you deserve.